Pages

Thursday, March 11, 2010

I'm watching The Fountain again... This is, without a doubt, one of my favorite movies of all time. It's a movie that you need to watch a few times to fully understand everything. There are different stories all going on at once, but they're all really the same story, with the same two people whose lives are bound together, eternally, universally. I know I'm a hopeless romantic, but I feel that Izzie and Tommy are the perfect examples of real, pure love for another human being. They have such a true passion for each other, that they just feel it so extraordinarily, they don't need to say it verbally. How he lives for her, dies for her, even continues throughout the entire universe with the tree of eternal life for her, haunted by her presence, two of them, actually. I think one of my favorite parts of the movie (which may not make sense if you haven't seen it) is this bit:

Izzi: [as a vision of Izzi in 2500] Finish it.

Tom Creo: Stop... Stop it!
[he rises from beside the tree and marches to her]
Tom Creo: What do you want? Leave me, leave me alone! Please, please... It's not my...
[kneels and breaks into sobs]
Izzi: [she touches his head with a robed arm; he looks up and sees Queen Isabella, smiles, and stands] Will you deliver Spain from bondage?
Tom Creo: I don't know... I'm trying, trying... I don't know how.
Izzi: You do. You will.
[cut to Tom, then cut to Izzi]
Izzi: You do... You will.
[assorted silent flashbacks; Izzi's voiceover: "I'm not afraid anymore, Tommy."]
Tom Creo: I'm going to die.
[Izzi smiles]
Tom Creo: I'm going to die!
[he smiles, laughing]
Izzi: Together we will live forever.
[sheds a tear]
Tom Creo: Forever.
[smiling]
Izzi: [as Queen Isabella] Forever.
Tom Creo: [walks back to the tree] Forever.
[looks at it]
Tom Creo: We will live forever.
Izzi: [as Izzi] Finish it.
Tom Creo: OK.

This is my favorite part... After this point, he puts the ring on and Xibalbia explodes, birthing millions of new stars, and he moves up into the sky, and... I don't even know how to accurately describe the rest, the visuals are just so amazing. I just love when he looks up at her, starts laughing and says "I'm going to die!" It's just such a powerful moment between the two, when she really is there with him, the tree, and how he dies so they can live together, forever.

I have to say, though, my absolute favorite part of the movie is when Izzie actually dies. The irony of how the bit of the tree proves to be effective, right as she dies, and it's really a part of her, the only thing that could save her. How he ignores her for a portion of time to find this cure, and he finds it too late because he does spend time with her. After he discovers this, he runs in to find her dead, he's too late. His reaction to this is just... Perfect. And Queen Isabella's line, "Every shadow, no matter how deep is threatened by morning light," is perfect foreshadowing to her death leading to the final death of Xibalbia, and the birth of the new light. Thomas's line, "Through that last dark cloud is a dying star. And soon enough, Xibalbia will die. And when it explodes, it will be reborn. You will bloom... And I will live."

No comments: