Of course, my one love and comfort from a busy, stressful morning or day at school. You all know (and, at times ridicule in a friendly tone) my love for tea, and I'm not ashamed at all. It's my one escape during many afflictions when even music proves ineffective; sitting down with a hot cup of honey vanilla chamomile does wonders for my soul, and helps me truly understand why plethoras of countries for centuries on end have taken solace in its contemplative peace.
Sitting with a cup of freshly steeped tea and closed eyes, to me, is an extremely poetic catharsis, however cliche or masked that may sound. I even have certain albums which serve as my "tea time music" such as several by Malice Mizer, painting Gothic fantasies in my mind of large gowns and lace, cathedrals and harpsichords. European tea, in its early days, was a luxury available only to those of aristocratic blood due to its high Chinese import rates; its history is strewn with elegance, pompous indulgences, and nobility, one of the reasons I hold such a high emotional passion for it.
I hold a firm belief that each and every young woman has the right to feel like a princess, as that's precisely what we are. Not only the essence of tea and the connotations of its mention, but its taste and silky warmth against your tongue in the cold surrounding you are what solidify that royal feeling.
My only standing regrets remain the fact that I will never be able to truly enjoy tea to its fullest potential; being Mormon, however wonderful, does hold me from the ability to expand my knowledge and love of tea due to the Words of Wisdom I follow. We have been asked not to drink certain beverages, and most teas fall under that qualification; herbal teas are in general what are allowed to us, and while I love those which I've tasted with all of my soul, I do yearn for a bit more.
In conversation with various Lolitas over the miracle that is the internet, I've heard much about the numerous favorites in the black, oolong, rooibos, and chai categories in particular; I do admit to having tasted some of the above by slight accident. During the Lolita Tea Party at which I was present, our lovely hosts had prepared a tea specialist to speak and give demonstrations and samples to those of us who were interested. I watched and mentally noted her every word studiously, gravely interested in preparation ceremonies and ingredients. Afterward, she allowed us to taste the teas she had prepared as we desired, and I accidentally tried some Earl Grey, oolong, and rooibos teas. (I wasn't particularly fond of the latter, surprisingly.)
What are your thoughts on teas? Are they just a flavored water in your opinion, or do you feel like they bring a sort of personal sanctuary?






3 comments:
As a male, I think you know my opinion on tea. XD But I agree with your statement "every young woman has the right to feel like a princess, as that's precisely what we are." I really think that's a great thought, and I think that all young men should treat all young women exactly that way. Thanks for sharing that. ^__^
And Ben, that's exactly why you'll find a good wife someday. :) Most boys your age have still yet to figure that out.
I like tea when I'm sick or have a sore throat... that's about it. Aside from that, I find a blanket much more comforting.
Post a Comment