I figured I might drop by and visit for a bit, seeing as it's my blog and all. Hardly recognize the place.
Anyhow, today was pretty eventful. Mom came into my room this morning (apparently dad had come in previously) to wake me up, because we had a cake decorating class in half an hour. I showered, put my hair in pigtails and put on some basic makeup, ate breakfast and we left. We got to the class, which is held at Roberts, and saw the instructor setting out a few things. We were told to sit where a book was, and the four of us (Mom, Brittany, Thoubee and I) took up an entire row. After the general introduction, she pulled out a round cake and showed us how to cut it into layers. She had this cool tool that was basically a level with a wire that would cut through the cake. Simple, but amazingly affective. She cut two of these in half, to make a four layered cake. She put the first layer of the cake on a sort of turning platform, and put a dam of the icing on the top edge, then filled it with something of which I've forgotten the name. (She said we could also use pudding or jam, which is interesting.) She stuck the other layer on top of that, then repeated until all the levels were atop each other. Then she used a huge frosting tip to cover the entire cake with a thick layer of thin frosting, and smoothed it over with a spatula. She let it sit and sort of... Crust over, I guess? Then pressed over it with parchment paper, and began decorating it. It's amazing how easy she makes it look, she grabbed what looked sort of like a meat thermometer to me and started forming this rose out of icing. She said that, if we practice at home, we would be able to do that by the end of the class. She decorated this cake with yellow flowers, which were adorable, but slightly off center.
She took us to the cake decorating isle, which was suprisingly bare. They had a sale, I guess, and most things were few or gone. She had told us a general idea of what we needed, so we grabbed some things they had and planned to go up to SLC later to buy the things which were out of stock. There was much confusion about this, as we changed our plans to have dad come meet us about five times. Once we finally settled things, we returned home to get him, then headed off to IKEA for lunch. We stood in the lines (which looked longer than they actually were, which was nice) with the awesome tray cart I enjoyed pushing around, and chose our food. I think the thing we always look forward to about IKEA is the chocolate. We grabbed several million chocolate bars, paid for some things we'd picked up on our way out, and headed to our next destination. When we got there, they had pretty nice things to buy. Apparently it was some store for restaurants and whatnot, so they had giant bottles of food coloring (could have come in handy last night so we wouldn't have had moss cakes) and chef hats, you name it. We bought our cake pans, filling, cutters (I got a Fluer de Lis one), stands and everything else we needed.
Then we went into the showrooms for kitchens and took pictures in our favorites, which I'm not sure was allowed. After we were done downstairs, dad said he had something he wanted to show us upstairs. We went up where there were more showrooms, but this was more of an entertainment room sort of deal. It was actually more like an entertainment house, as the rooms were all for different uses; the office, whatnot. Then dad took us into the big theatre room. Oh. My. Gosh. If I could make a dream house, I would want that in it. It had a screen that was pretty much the size of the wall, two rows of couch/recliners, a bar in the back, a dome-ish ceiling with little star-like lights peeking through, everything. It was amazing. And then he showed us what the remote could do, which was pretty much everything. It controlled the temperature in the room, the lighting, the sound system, there was even a golf thing. He pressed a button, and a screen lowered from the ceiling where the movie screen was, and a cabinet opened automatically to reveal golf clubs. Apparently you just do it like you do with normal golf , then it will pick it up and show you where it went on the golf course, kind of like golfing on Wii Sports. But it was just the coolest thing I've ever seen, I still can't get over how awesome that screen was. Anyway, we came home, and I pretty much hid up in my room for the rest of the day because I was tired of being sociable. Pretty exciting, ne?
Love and dix,
Lashy
No comments:
Post a Comment