Pages

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

A Penny For Your Thoughts?

I need to do more blogging... Just about me. My life. I usually have some subject (due to rants more often that not), or I just post something because I find it amusing and no one feels like listening to me at the moment. I don't really post much about my life, what I'm doing with it, and how I feel about it. Today was a fairly lazy day, other than this morning. I woke up somewhere from nine to ten and immediately got a call from Sister Turner. I had forgotten today was the YCL Adventure, and they were all waiting for me. I felt really bad that they had all been sitting there, waiting for me, and I had completely forgotten and hadn't prepared, so I told them just to go without me. Later, my mom got a call from Sister Turner again, saying she had a feeling that I should really be there. I would have, but.... I really didn't have a way to get there, Brittany started her job today and had the car. I feel bad about that.

I pretty much lazed about the house, the rest of the day. (Also, I almost just typed hausu. I suck.) Sat downstairs with my wonderful mother crafting and watching bits and pieces of television with her. I finished my felt cake yesterday (I should post pictures of that...), so I started crocheting a blue octopus, which I can probably sell on our family Etsy. Which, by the way, is FromShirlee at Etsy. Cough. Shameless self promotion for the win. Anyway, I started a blue octopus today. I would just sell Leonard, but he's just so cute, and I'm so proud of him. And he was my first amigurumi. I'm trying to decide what to do for the cakes... Because my first few I would like to keep (also, there are things I would like to change in the future, they were my first attempts, so they weren't perfect), so I need to keep practicing and think up which ones I want to make and sell. I'll be thinking about that as I continue learning. I suppose I should post pictures of my cakes....


Alright, this is the very first felt pastry I ever made, and however horrible it may be, I am darn proud of it. In case you can't tell (whether from the bad lighting, my terrible sewing skills, or your own stupidity is subject to debate), it's a little Swiss cake roll with a whipped cream dollop and a strawberry. A very in-proportionate strawberry. Hey, be nice, it was my first try. Also, I should have fluffed the dollop up a bit before I took the picture. The left side is looking kind of sad. Oh well, you get the idea.


Alright, if I was proud of my little cake roll, I am like... Bursting with joy. Tears are welling up in my bosom (or something?) with pride. I AM DARN PROUD OF THIS THING. As the second felt pastry I ever made, I think I did a pretty dang good job. I messed up several times, and there are things I know now to do better in the future, not to mention the fabric on the inside isn't completely measured right, but I am so proud of myself. LOOK AT HOW CUTE IT IS. In case you can't tell, it's a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting dripping down the sides, with two whipped cream dollops (one regular, one strawberry), a slice of orange, a dollop of chocolate mousse (which doesn't look like it at all, so we can pretend it's a very large chocolate chip), a waffle, and two pirouettes (one white chocolate, one strawberry).



Another angle at my pride and joy. Because you want to see it. Secretly. But do you want to know the really fun part? The reason I am exploding with pride at my (shoddy) craftsmanship? The part that easily took up about 5/8 of the time spent on this cake?


IT'S A MOTHER EFFING BOX. THAT'S RIGHT.

This took up so much time, because the (slightly illegal) pattern I was using was barely off, some of the pieces were missing, I was using a Chex cereal box, and I'm partially mentally retarded. BUT I NOW HAVE A USEFUL POT CLEVERLY MASQUERADING AS A SLICE OF CAKE. MY PLAN IS FLAWLESS. Anyway, have another picture just for kicks and giggles. 
*sigh* Aren't they beautiful? I'm so proud of myself. I know I keep saying that, but I was sure I would kill something, and that I wouldn't be able to do them no matter how hard I tried, but look at them...! They're there, and though they may not be perfect, I think they're pretty cute. So, that's what I've been up to. Oh, and these are the magical cakes that Dr Daley is sure will save my mentality. So I guess I keep doing these. 

Anyway, crafts aside, the rest of the night was spent perambulating with Brittany, Sophie and mom, and making these "healthy" brownies made with honey and some other junk. They're kind of odd when you first taste them, but after a while you get past the bumblebutt taste and they're very tasty. Oh, I got a haircut recently. That was exciting. I didn't really change anything, it was just a trim. Basically she evened up some stuff, barely trimmed around it, and thinned/chunked the front. So... Yeah. Oh, heck. I'll take a picture for good measure.


It's night, so it's pretty much died by now. But you get the point. Behold my lovely face. BEHOLD IT. 

Later, my minions.
Lashy

1 comment:

Domestic Goddess said...

Your cakes are very cute. We are crafty awesomeness!