Pages

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Sunday, Mormon Sunday.

Today, Lemmy and I went to the Singles' Ward. Last week was not quite comfortable as nobody I knew was there in Relief Society (that's not quite true; I saw some girls from my last ward, but they came in late and sat across the room). For some reason, this week practically everyone in the area showed up, and I ended up sitting with Lemmy, Moni, Ben, and Aaron during Sacrament Meeting. It was quite enjoyable.

One thing I found interesting is that, it being a fast Sunday, they provided a small meal after church. It was pretty cool (and I understand why they would want to do so with a group of people of our age, who they want to all marry one another). They usually have a "Linger Longer" at which they provide a small snack, but I thought it was very interesting that they had so much food; generous sandwiches, potato chips, tortilla chips with salsa, cookies and brownies, soda... Apparently there is an entire committee devoted to the planning of this weekly event. I enjoy the effort put into it, I really appreciate how much this church puts into its youth, even just silly little things like refreshment events.

Another thing I enjoy about the Singles' Ward, is the fact that I can attend classes with people of my own age group and maturity level (surprise, surprise, a ward made for single adults). It's so odd attending the sacrament without screaming children all over the place; it's dead silent. (I might note, this was a bit uncomfortable as I'm getting over a cold, and I was blowing my nose every two seconds.) I quite enjoy Relief Society with girls my own age and a bit older; I've always attached more to my elders, but Relief Society in a regular ward is a bit odd for someone my age as most of the lessons revolve around raising children, etc. This is quite a nice age group, I enjoy the lessons and people much more.

In other news, my father and I are re-painting a giant desk which was previously in Brittany's room; as she's moved out, it was sitting in an empty room. The desk is much nicer than the one I currently use, and as such, jumped at the chance to take it; however, the desk is black, which meant my father and I had to pull it apart, and spray paint the entire thing brown. Quite an interesting day, really. The only downside here is fitting it into my room; I have quite a large bed, and the only corner in which the desk would fit is right next to it. I'm currently in the process of cleaning my room and de-junking now that I'm out of high school. It's a nice feeling, but a lot of work to do when your father's expecting it done in a couple of days.

In other news, I drove yesterday. I know, I know, I'm eighteen. I've graduated, I've got scholarships... Heck, I even have a flipping passport, but I don't have a driver's license. Believe me, I dislike it as much as my family does; I was simply far too occupied during the school year, and I don't think I could have handled it, and I suppose I never got around to it during the Summer. Anywho, yesterday dad took me out driving, just learning how to use the car and whatnot. I'm also reading the driver's manual so I can take my test. Very slowly am I reading, but reading I am.

I have a job interview tomorrow at some place called Logo Marketing. I've never heard of it before, but a friend of mine recommended me for the position and they called me for an interview. I guess we'll see how with works out.

Oh! I have been reading The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes as of late. Quite an enjoyable read! And, I must admit, very slightly propelled by my love for the BBC series. (And yes, I did envision Benedict Cumberbatch smoking a pipe the whole time.) It has made me appreciate all the little details Moffat and Gatiss put into the show; the tobacco in the Persian shoe's tip, the unanswered correspondence stabbed into the mantelpiece, the plays on the names of places and events... I also quite thoroughly enjoy being inside the head of Sherlock Holmes as he deduces incredible things (especially from small things as a man's pipe). So very fascinating! I hear about how Sir Arthur Conan Doyle really disliked writing Sherlock after a while, but revived his literally deceased character due to persistent nagging on the part of the public, and I used to feel almost angry toward his readers; you shouldn't force a man to write as it takes from his true art. But in reading it... I completely understand. Ahaha, I feel horrible saying it, but it's true. I want more Sherlock Holmes! I immediately moved on, and am now onto The Return of Sherlock Holmes, in which he miraculously appears, alive, back where he should be at Watson's side; I am very excited to read about how he faked his death! Anywho, I'll stop ranting about Sherlock Holmes, and leave you with some pictures from my BBC fandom, as I cannot provide photographs of a character from text.






That ended up being more crack fandom than anything else. Here, let me try again.








....Nope. Alright, I give up. I leave you with my general reaction to Benedict.



Love and leeches,
    Lashy

No comments: