Pages

Saturday, October 31, 2009

I'm looking up asylums again. Sometimes these treatments just boggle my mind. I'm reading over accounts of people who have been in these asylums, and research from old ones, and it's just sad. Overall, it sounds like these people just wanted someone to listen, and instead they got some stupid sadistic "treatment" that was used for punishment more often than not. I mean, ECT? Really? I know there have been lots of people who've benefited from it, but it honestly it doesn't sound worth it to me! Thinking about all the OTHER people who got nothing positive from it, and only walked away with no previous memory, and broken bones from such violent convulsions! I may be a tad bit biased because the first I'd ever heard of this treatment was from someone with horrible experience from it, but still. They were obviously scarred from it, so I'm not just spewing random crap. Really, can you not just get these people a decent psychiatrist instead of using methods that often times result in further illness or injury? And without consent at times... These people aren't lab rats. It's just the same as a person with cancer or something, they can't help that they're ill!


And from the sound of it, these nurses and doctors don't even give a crap. I'm not going to say that none of them do, but from what I've heard people say, a good portion of them don't care, can't handle it, and quit after a year or so. They don't understand, don't listen, and don't help the patients. In talking with a girl previously in an asylum, they weren't allowed to cry. She couldn't cry. Your family dumps you in some "hospital" because they can't handle you, where you can't talk to anyone, see anyone, no one helps you, and you want to die more than ever. And you can't cry. Can you imagine? I've often read of people saying that when they're in an asylum, the illness seems to get worse, and they want to die. But there's no way to kill yourself, because a nurse comes by every twenty minutes to make sure you not doing just that. Once again, not caring, just glancing in the tiny window, the only window to the real world out of the blinding white room.

Aghsadlfjkalsd, I'm ranting now. Sorry. I was just reading some stuff and it kind of got me angry, haha. It just really... *sigh* I can't believe it sometimes. It's so horrible. A person in their worst state of mind, and the things supposed to make it better seem like torture methods. At least it's not like old asylums anymore. From research I've done, the treatments made no sense. Like this water treatment... *shudder* And look at this list of approved abbreviations from an old asylum. They're all for treatments, diseases and states of being. Some of these make me so sad. (EX: SIW, SD, DOA, etc.)



I should post some of these abandoned asylum pictures I have. I have quite a lot, and they're really sad. Here's a picture of the asylum's Hydrotherapy Station. I find this one really disgusting, because the actual surface is filthy, and the pipes above it are spotless. Ironic, no?


I think this next picture is my favorite one. It's called "4-117", the number on the door. You see all the scratches, the missing chunks where desparate inmates attempted to claw their ways out to escape.
Yeah, I'm gonna stop now. I just had to rant there for a minute. ^_^ Sorry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What do those abbreviations stand for? ... Or do I want to know?

Things like this make my blood boil. I know what it feels like to need somebody to listen to you and help you cope when really you CAN'T. People who say you're not trying hard enough have no idea what they're talking about. I'd like to see them battle their own mind 24/7.