Pages

Monday, March 7, 2011

I Will Tremble a Prayer.

My lovely readers,

I'd like to thank you for bothering to read any of my posts... I'm aware they might not be extremely interesting to you, but I do generally just express what I'm feeling at the time, and it's nice to know people listen. A vast majority of these are straight emotion without much thought (or too much), and as such don't make much sense, or are rarely applicable after an amount of time... I mean, I spew what I feel as though I need to, and that doesn't always last more than a day or two, or I might misunderstand something.... So I apologize for my rash ramblings. Not to say they won't continue, but just know that's what happens, and that although it may seem as though I'm dying of some emotion, I'm simply a very dramatic person and I'll have forgotten about it within a week, in all likelihood. I only feel it's necessary to explain this due to a few of your responses as of late, to several varying posts of mine. I appreciate the love you show when I feel hurt. Thank you.

Anywho, I believe it's about due time for a quote post. As you all know, I am quite the quote whore, and as such, have way too many of them for my own good. These will mostly be from the books I've been reading on my own as of late (namely, On the Genealogy of Morals by Nietzsche, and Frankenstein by Mary Shelly), though not the ones read in school. Although they are the main portion of my reading time, they are school copies and I'm not allowed to hi-light them, which makes quoting slightly difficult. Now, these things have been hi-lighted or underlined for various reasons. Perhaps I thought it was profound, I related to the character, I learned something from it... Whatever it may be, it meant something to me, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will to you. I do, however, ask that you read through them however briefly, and see the passions of my mind, as well as possibly finding something meaningful of your own.

 "There is something at work in my soul which I do not understand... There is a love for the marvelous, a belief in the marvelous, intertwined in all my projects, which hurries me out of the common pathways of men." ~Frankenstein

"What can stop the determined heart and resolved will of man?" ~Frankenstein

"One man's life or death were but a small price to pay for the acquirement of the knowledge which I sought..." ~Frankenstein

"Even broken in spirit as he is, no one can feel more deeply than he does the beauties of nature... Such a man has a double existence: he may suffer misery and be overwhelmed by disappointments, yet when he has retired into himself, he will be like a celestial spirit that has a halo around him within whose circle no grief or folly ventures." ~Frankenstein

"My temper was sometimes violent, and my passions vehement; ...not towards childish pursuits but to an eager desire to learn, and not to learn all things indiscriminately." ~Frankenstein

"Thus strangely are our souls constructed, and by such slight ligaments are we bound to prosperity or ruin." ~Frankenstein

"I will endeavor to resign myself cheerfully to death and will indulge a hope of meeting you in another world." ~Frankenstein

"These are the reflections of the first day; but when the lapse of time proves the reality of the evil, then the actual bitterness of grief commences." ~Frankenstein

"The time at length arrives when grief is rather an indulgence than a necessity." ~Frankenstein

" Learn from me, if not by my precepts, at least by my example, how dangerous is the acquirement of knowledge and how much happier that man is who believes his native town to be the world, than he who aspires to become greater than his nature will allow." ~Frankenstein

"A human being in perfection ought always to preserve a calm and peaceful mind and never to allow passion or a transitory desire to disturb his tranquility. I do not think the pursuit of knowledge i an exception to this rule. If the study to which you apply yourself has a tendency to weaken your affections and to destroy your taste for those simple pleasure sin which no alloy can possibly mix, then that study is certainly unlawful, that is to say, not befitting the human mind." ~Frankenstein

"Excellent friend! How sincerely you did love me and endeavor to elevate my mind until it was on a level with your own!" ~Frankenstein

"Enter the house of mourning, my friend, but with kindness and affection for those who love you, and not with hatred for your enemies." ~Frankenstein

"How altered everything might be during that time! One sudden and desolating change had taken place; but a thousand little circumstances might have by degrees worked other alterations, which, although they were done with more tranquility, might not be the less decisive." ~Frankenstein

"Ye weep, unhappy ones, but these are not your last tears! Again shall you raise the funeral wail, and the sound of your lamentations shall again and again be heard!" ~Frankenstein

"Nothing is more painful to the human mind than, after a quick succession of events, the dead calmness of inaction and certainty which follows and deprives the soul both of hope and fear." ~Frankenstein

"But is it not a duty to the survivors that we should refrain from augmenting their unhappiness by an appearance of immoderate grief? It is also a duty owed to yourself, for excessive sorrow prevents improvement or enjoyment, or even the discharge of daily usefulness, without which no man is fit for society." ~Frankenstein

"There was always scope for fear so long as anything I loved remained behind." ~Frankenstein

"Alas! Victor, when falsehood can look so like the truth, who can assure themselves of certain happiness?" ~Frankenstein

" The sight of the awful and majestic in nature had indeed always the effect of solemnizing my mind and causing me to forget the passing cares of life." ~Frankenstein

"Alas! Why does man boast of sensibilities superior to those apparent in the brute; it only renders them more necessary beings. If our impulses were confined to hunger, thirst, and desire, we might be nearly free; but now we are moved by every wind that blows and a chance word or scene that word may convey to us." ~Frankenstein

"Wandering spirits, if indeed ye wader, and do not rest in your narrow beds, allow me this faint happiness, or take me, as your companion, away from the joys of life." ~Frankenstein

"All men hate the wretched; how, then, must I be hated, whom am miserable beyond all living things!" ~Frankenstein

"Life, although it may only be an accumulation of anguish, is dear to me, and I will defend it." ~Frankenstein

"I shall relate events that impressed me with feelings which, from what I had been, have made me what I am." ~Frankenstein

"Was man, indeed, at once so powerful, so virtuous, and magnificent, and yet so vicious and base?" ~Frankenstein

"I cannot describe to you the agony that these reflections inflicted upon me; I tried to dispel them, but sorrow only increased with knowledge. Oh, that I had forever remained in my native wood, nor known nor felt beyond the sensations of hunger, thirst, and heat!" ~Frankenstein

"Of what a strange nature is knowledge! It clings to the mind when it has once seized on it like a lichen on the rock. I wished sometimes to shake off all thought and feeling, but I learned that there was but one means to overcome the sensation of pain, and that was death-- a state which I feared yet did not understand." ~Frankenstein

"I can hardly describe to you the effect of these books. They produced in me an infinity of new images and feelings, that sometimes raised me to ecstasy, but more frequently sunk me into the lowest dejection." ~Frankenstein

The patriarchal lives of my protectors caused these impressions to take a firm hold on my mind; perhaps, if my first introduction to humanity had been made by a young soldier, burning for glory and slaughter, I should have been imbued with different sensations." ~Frankenstein

"Hateful day when I received life!" ~Frankenstein

"Increase of knowledge only discovered to me more clearly what a wretched outcast I was." ~Frankenstein

"Do not despair. To be friendless is indeed to be unfortunate, but the hearts of men, when unprejudiced by any obvious self-interest, are full of brotherly love and charity. Rely, therefore, on your hopes; and if these friends are good and amiable, do not despair." ~Frankenstein

"And now with the world before me, whither should I bend my steps?" ~Frankenstein

"It is true, we shall be monsters, cut off from all the world; but on that account we shall be more attached to one another. Our lives will not be happy, but they will be harmless and free from the misery I now feel." ~Frankenstein 

"My evil passions will have fled, for I shall meet with sympathy! My life will flow quietly away, and in my dying moments I shall not curse my maker." ~Frankenstein

"Oh! Stars and clouds and winds, ye are all about to mock me; if ye really pity me, crush sensation and memory; let me become as nought; but if not, depart, depart, and leave me in the darkness." ~Frankenstein

"His wild and enthusiastic imagination was chastened by the sensibility of his heart. His soul overflowed with ardent affections, and his friendship was of that devoted and wondrous nature that the world-minded teach us to look for only in the imagination." ~Frankenstein

"How mutable are our feelings, and how strange is that clinging love we have of life even in the excess of misery!" ~Frankenstein

"Death snatches away many blooming children, the only hopes of their doting parents; how many brides nad youthful lovers have been one day in the bloom of health and hope, and the next a prey for worms and the decay of the tomb! Of what materials was I made that I could thus resist so many shocks, which, like the turning of the wheel, continually renewed the torture?" ~Frankenstein

"Ah! It is well for the unfortunate to be resigned, but for the guilty there is no peace. The agonies of remorse poison the luxury there is otherwise sometimes found in indulging the excess of grief." ~Frankenstein

"Man! How ignorant art thou in thy pride of wisdom! Cease; you know not what it is you say." ~Frankenstein

"But revenge kept me alive; I dared not die and leave my adversary in being." ~Frankenstein

"By the sacred earth on which I kneel, by the shades that wander near me, by the deep and eternal grief that I feel, I swear; and by thee, O Night, and the spirits that preside over thee, to pursue the demon who caused his misery, until he or I shall perish in mortal conflict... Let the cursed and Hellish monster drink deep of agony; let him feel the despair that now torments me." ~Frankenstein

"To you first entering on life, to whom care is new and agony unknown, how can you understand what I have felt and still feel?" ~Frankenstein

"The only joy that he can now know will be when he composes his shattered spirit to peace and death." ~Frankenstein

"What a glorious creature must he have been in the days of his prosperity, when he is thus noble and godlike in ruin!" ~Frankenstein

"Even where the affections are not strongly moved by any superior excellence, the companions of our childhood always possess a certain power over our minds which hardly any later friend can obtain." ~Frankenstein

"Oh! Be men, or be more than men. Be steady to your purposes and firm as a rock." ~Frankenstein 


"I shall no longer see the sun or stars or feel the winds play on my cheeks. Light, feeling, and sense will pass away; and in this condition must I find my happiness." ~Frankenstein


These are the ones from Frankenstein... I hadn't realized how many there were until I started typing them out. Perhaps there will be a separate post for various other readings.

<3
Lashy

No comments: